Thursday, February 22, 2007

Sticks and Stones

I know you've heard of the saying: "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me." I used to hear that phrase and say it myself when I was a young girl. I've experienced alot of things in life now and I believe this phrase is completely FALSE.

I have found that people love to fight with words. See, there is no physical weapon and it takes little effort. The results, however can be more harmful than if you hit someone. I believe when you are hurt physically, after the wound heals you don't feel the hurt anymore. But, if someone hurts you with the words they spoke to you,sometimes that kind of wound never heals.

To me negative, hurtful, uncaring words can cut deeper than any knife. The words do more than sting, they can be destructive. Even after we've apologized to the person we've hurt with our words, it can't erase the person's feelings. It can take a person a long time if ever to get past the negative words to see your I'M SORRY.

The bible speaks of our tongue having the power of life and death. I believe that. Relationships are destroyed by negative words. I want to speak life not death. I want to encourage, not discourage. I want to build up, not tear down. I want to help people, not hurt them.

I try to be very careful about what I say to people. I know that once I've said them, there is no taking them back, even if I do say I'm sorry.

No comments: